Friday, January 9, 2015

Memories for Tomorrow

I was playing a guessing game the other day with my cousins and they said the verb was something that I had written about on my blog. I guessed sweeping, picking up trash, knocking on the door... Some of the younger cousins began to laugh, and thinking I had forgot the clue said seriously do you write about those things. Sadly yes apparently I do- maybe I have a boring life or am just too sheltered that ordinary things make a big impact and I can't help to write them down.

* This is a weird thing to write about...

It has been snowy and cold here, but I am so grateful I ventured out on this particular blustery day.

I saw awesome human skill!

Maybe those of you who live in big towns have seen this before, but I have never seen anything with such precision and synchronicity. After I figured out how to get out of the way I watched with awe as five giant snowplows entered my street. They lined up in all lanes of the road and the snow would be scrapped up by one plow and then the next would be there to catch it and pass it on down the line. I watched them as they worked like dancers changing formation as lanes were added and taken away all plows working together to in one swipe remove the snow from the entire road. Seriously one of the coolest shows of teamwork in the career field. 

Second great experience I have had recently was playing hide and go seek with Shane and Daphney. It was so wonderful because my daughter does not quite understand it yet and keeps it real interesting.

Example: 

Shane and I sitting in the toy room eyes shut counting to 10... 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7-  
Daphney comes running into the room "Here I am; you found me!"

After a couple failed attempts at making it to ten she finally got the concept of waiting to be found. Surprised that she had not yet come in to congratulate us on finding her, we got up to search for her. I was prepared to act like I couldn't find her and pretend that even though I see that giant lump in the blanket it couldn't possibly be her hiding under there. However, then I spotted her grinning from ear to ear hiding, by sitting on the couch in the open, watching us look for her. How do you even fake not being able to find her?! She obviously needs more practice at that game!

Lastly I just wanted to update you all on my son. He LOVES his helmet and I just recently repainted it during our long Christmas road trip.  I know exactly how many bumps there are between here and my Grandparent's house! Demitri now complains if I take it off, and spends the next ten minutes scratching his head trying to figure out who put that hair on there. I have seen him use his helmet to catch himself when he falls, and to help him balance on his head. One of his favorite things to do is conk his head into the wall/fireplace/my nose and laugh and laugh;probably because he knows he broke my nose and he feels no pain at all. :) The other day I saw him balancing a child sized basketball in the hole of his helmet on the top of his head. He will surely miss that helmet! Originally I had thought that in some way I had caused or allowed this terrible trial to come into my sons life but I should have known that all trials are also blessings and blessings are also trials. Both trials and blessing are part of the plan for us to find happiness. I am so grateful for my son's happy attitude through this blessing/trial! 




No comments:

Post a Comment