Friday, October 16, 2015

Paisley's Birth Story

Good News: Paisley was born without any ambulance trips with two toddlers, and my husband was there!

The day Paisley was born was three days before her due date. Shane was at school an hour north and I sat around trying not to move too much so as to not dislodge her. As the time for Shane to return home approached I began gaining confidence that he would not miss it and preceded to clean the house and take the kids to the park with a playgroup. All this time I had consistent contractions similar to those I had been feeling all month. Shane had called and said that he was going to stay for an important conference; however he had told me to keep him up to date because he would a million times prefer a false alarm than to miss the baby's birth so I called him around three and told him I had three contractions that were roughly 9 minutes apart and he told me to go to the hospital and decided to head for home. I disagreed and argued that the contractions had been 4 minutes apart several times this pregnancy and we had plenty of time and who knows if this is even real labor... (You feel pretty stupid when you don't even know if you are in labor or not.)

Anyways I have amazing friends that showed up shortly to take my kids away and drive me to the hospital. I was only there for a long 20 minutes when Shane showed up, and things really got moving after that. My water ruptured by itself and my doctor luckily opted to not stop for a sandwich and soda on his way in (I am not quite sure why he choose to share that decision with me at this stressful time..). My epidural only worked on my right side of my body so I kept pushing the "magic" more drugs button, but alas sadly the right side was very numb and the left didn't really seem to change much. However, this was kind of the best of both worlds because I was able to feel the pain and that gave me plenty of motivation while still dulling the pain on the right.

She weighed 7 lbs and was 19 inches long. She was a beautiful dark haired baby that was healthy and able to stay in my room from birth! The hospital was having a baby boom that day and had a record number of people deliver, so that some families were expanded into another floor of the hospital. Shane also had two cousins (one on each side) that had babies on that day. And, Paisley marks the 50 great-grandchild for his maternal grandparents by like an hour... This was our first non-jaundice baby and that was wonderful. The only thing we had to do was get her tongue untied. While there they made me fill out past history paperwork that didn't really make since for new-borns like how much did she weigh last year, and does she wake up frequently.

We love having her apart of our family, and I am in total amazement of the ability to create life. What a blessing!








No comments:

Post a Comment