Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Parent of Four

So before I actually had 4 kids I watched Jim Gaffigin's comedy about what it feels like to be a parent of four kids:

"Just imagine you are drowning and someone hands you a baby."

I thought that must be a exaggeration in order to get more of a joke in his comedy routine. Having babies is such a joy on any occasion that having a baby while drowning is probably just more fun right?!

HAHA- I have since learned no one has described this situation more adequately than this quote.

* The only thing I would add is that while you are drowning and exhausted everyone stares at you with their "I am so glad I am not you, but your family is so adorable face".


So I will be honest I have felt this way, out of shear exhaustion of trying to give my kids every experience and attention that parents of one give their children. I was trying so hard to train my kids to act like normal kids in society that are obedient and well mannered.

However this Sunday in church, I was sitting there watching my kids

 * NOTE -They were not the PERFECT picture of well trained and attended to children.

There sat Daphney in a laced mint dressed that was too big but it fits her length and desire to be BIG. She sat guarding the hymn books so she could be in control of handing them out when needed. And yes I accepted her hymnal without letting her know I had two others already beside me. 

Next up in the front row was Demitri who looked like an angry fairy twirling during the sacrament song and changing rows during the sacrament prayer because he needed a better view of the sacrament table or maybe so he would be first to get the bread and water. 

On my lap I held Paisley in over-sized dress-up princess shoes and giant sparkly dress that scatters glitter everywhere. (We can't ever find her other shoes or convince her to keep them on so this floppy hard plastic pair it is.) On her lap sat the blanket she had to have. 

Lastly there was Kendrik, a chunky little stud in a vest still in his car seat.

Yes not PERFECT-

But I was overwhelmed by a feeling of gratitude that my children were blessed to have a mother that can't possibly micromanage them and force them to be boring children that are always doing what they are supposed to or expected to be. They have wiggle room to really experience life while they are toddlers and while mistakes are easily corrected, but also room to form their own personalities that are strong and spirited unrestrained by rules of reality and adulthood.

Yes I might miss watching parts of their soccer game because I am pulling my two-year-old's head out of the conveniently located porta potty or peeling a kid off the tall chain linked fence all the while comforting my colichy newborn. Yes if I had one child my son would have been told not to have 100+ rocks stuffed in his pockets during his game because that is noisy and weighs down your pants. He wouldn't have had his Spiderman mask to take out and wear during half time. My lucky kids!

As I sat there in church and saw my kids I decided not to try so hard to fit in or to force my kids to be like they are "supposed to be" BUT to enjoy them as they are.

I no longer felt like I was drowning. We were PERFECT in our IMPERFECTION.

I am reading this memoir called the "On Kitten Creek". In it the author talks about how she missed God's blessing of peace because she was living in fear of a life out of control.

Who needs to fear chaos in life when you have made God a partner in your parenting. I know that he will bless us to see clearly the things that have eternal consequences and then let everything else fall out of importance. There is even purpose in the chaos.

Chaotic Four is the PERFECT # for NOW!


Yes when you have siblings your parents don't notice you pack a two-foot-tall piggy bank on the family vacation. Giant gorilla in the back window? That is normal! 

No comments:

Post a Comment