Saturday, April 5, 2014

My Bike Ride

Today I had this unexpected urge to conquer the neighborhood by way of Shane’s new bike. Shane told me as I left, “Don’t go down any hills.” I laughed and thought man he knows me well; if I were to go down hills I would never make it home because at some point I would have to trek back up those hills. But I soon learned the real reason why hills are the enemy.


 Picture an awesome sleek bike whose seat hits me at about the rib cage and handlebars that the rider has to lay horizontal to reach. I wanted to go on a stroll but really! You can’t stroll around on that vehicle and look cool… you are doomed to have to speed away arrow dynamically across the country side. So I stood in our driveway patiently waiting for the mailman to finish so I could attempt to hurdle myself upon that seat. I finally achieved my goal of mounting the beast the only problem was that I had to somehow squeeze my size 10.5 shoe into a tiny stirrup attached to the pedals. Didn’t they think I could keep my foot on the pedals without a strap?


 So there I was zooming down the path with one foot strapped in and fighting desperately to get the other into the stinking stirrup while trying to avoid the edges of the sidewalk. About half way through the bike ride I had success with my foot problem and decided to really push this bike with a slight decline. That was when it came… a 90 degree turn! This would have been a piece of cake if I would have thought to find the breaks prior. Turns out you have to lean even further impossibly forward to reach them while inactivating your plan for no longer having pavement under your tires. Speed was a terrible idea I opted for the rest of the ride to take it slow… and look silly. But not as silly as when I got home and realized I had no idea how to remove my wedged feet out of those stupid stirrups when the bike came to a halt in our front yard.


Maybe I will give the speed a break by taking up running for a while. :D


No comments:

Post a Comment