Monday, April 14, 2014

Daphney's Titanic

This one is simple to explain....

It took me ten minutes to release my child from the dungeon of the downstairs.

For my dedicated readers...

Daphney woke up from her nice peaceful nap and discovered she was alone in my parent's basement. I was sitting on the couch upstairs nursing Demitri as I hear the piercing wails, of a nap gone wrong, zooming the length of the basement and beginning to grow louder as she manages to reach the top of the staircase. There the sound stays not growing louder or softer.

Demitri decides to begin his wailing melody as he has to stop eating so we can check on Daphney. The song of my children is missing its usual melody of the drum of pounding palms on the door; I figure Daphney must not be stuck behind the closed door. However, as I approach chills run down my spine as I see her little fingers pried beneath the door and the floor. (The chills remind me of the ones you get while watching Titanic and see the lower class workers try to escape before the door locks them in the bottom of the boat... haunted me as a child.)


The intensity of my children’s cries increases as Daphney hears us approach and she begins to dig her fingers in farther into the cold tile. It took me a good 6 minutes to convince her to remove her fingers from under the door because as I would open the door a centimeter her hand would begin to resemble a pancake. We finally got her to painfully remove her digits, but she still would not back down the stairs in order to make room for me to open the door and save her. Daphney never actually managed to reverse down the stairs instead she smashed down far enough onto the floor that the door could open on top of her. It was quite the pickle for a bit. A few scrapes; consequently, just another day in the life of our Daphenator.

No comments:

Post a Comment