Saturday, January 30, 2016

Bellies

This morning I stood in front of my mirror and tried rolling my belly around; you know wiggling to and fro. There was no beauty in it and it barely moved. Why in the world was I going to a belly dancing class? I had no idea what to expect or what to WEAR! I guess I sort of thought the pros could draw a face on their tummies and then SNAP... Happy! Sad! Happy! Sad! Surprised!

It wasn't anything like that. I loved it and if the class was closer I would totally sign up.
To me it felt like belly dancing was all about celebrating and empowering womanhood, and not sensual although I am sure you could make it that way. The teacher explained each move and how it was based off of how a woman naturally moves. We focused a lot on control and centering like you would in yoga, and I love feeling like I control my body.

Also different than I expected, but I loved the fact that the women demoing were grandmas and mothers and their bellies were women's bellies. Bellies with stretch marks and discoloring and worn skin and yet so beautiful!

In American Tribal Belly dancing there is a leader and then everyone else mimics based on the cues, so you just memorize moves not a whole dance so a lot more emotional and interpretive in style. This also allows people to participate in flash mob belly dancing! :D (Which might just be something I would be interested in so not really a mob... "flash solo")

So new bucket list item: Belly dance on the beach with a beautiful sunset and my toes squishing in the sand- and wild elephants prancing about, yeah that would be a bonus. I am so SERIOUS!!




Anyone that knows me I am not the most graceful, so it wasn't pretty and I am glad there were no mirrors, but it was a great workout. Don't be scared like I was. Find a class and dance! It is a BLAST!

1 comment:

  1. You crack me up! I would love to go belly dancing with you! Abi and I watched the video and now she keeps saying, "Again! Again!" Haha, maybe we'll both come belly dancing with you! :) Does Daphney want to dance?

    ReplyDelete